Friday, March 21, 2008

An Introduction

My name is Jason and I am a current student in the guitar repair and construction program for the '07-'08 school year. I am contributing to this blog to give anyone who reads it an idea of what it's like to be a student in the program, including some of the really cool things that we do here, what classes are like, and how much work is involved. Right now, I am taking all three of the construction courses offered, which are flat top acoustic guitar construction, archtop guitar construction, and electric guitar construction. This is a lot of work, but there is also no other way that I'd prefer to spend my time.

Throughout the month of January and February, I completed the first part of the acoustic construction class and was in class for about 48-49 hours per week total including the electric archtop construction, but it has dropped down to about 40 hours per week now. I still have electric and archtop construction a few days a week, but I am currently enrolled in finish work and repairs class until the beginning of May when the acoustic will get finished. Both classes will give me some good skills to be able to get a nice looking finish on the acoustic itself.
I may have written more than you care to read here, check out my blog entry's to see each of the instruments I'm making.